There are not many jobs out there where the phone answering skills are moot. From service techs to attorneys, phone etiquette sets the tone for the entire business. It is even more true for the receptionist and Live Answering Service personnel providing first impressions for thousands of small businesses across the nation. If your answer is part of your job (or if you’re just answering phone calls during receptionist is out), try these ten steps to call answering success!
1. Start with a wow-worthy greeting . If you work in a virtual answering service or are your main ANSWERER for your business, you may want to suggest pumping up your greeting these tricks. Start out by saying “Good Morning / Afternoon” or “Thank you for calling” and end with an offer assistance as “How may I help you?” And, of course, always saying the company name when answering the phone, so that the visitor is sure to know that they’ve got the right place.
2. Ask to set the tone call. Instead of leading with the impersonal, “What can I do for you today?” start with a few pleasantries to get a call off on the right foot. “How are you?” is a reliable standby.
3. Add a personal touch. If you know a little more about the caller, instead of asking how they are, try to go for something more specific. ( “How is your new house?”) A little heat and interest lets them know you care!
4. Use expressive wording. Substitute enthusiastic words like “Absolutely!” and of course “the drab affirmatives as” Yes “and” Okay. “If you are the receptionist or work in call answering service, you may only have a minute or two to chat, but you can certainly make those seconds count!
5. Say caller’s name sake. Often . the sound of his own name is music to the ears; it is also great to play up knowledge. of course, if you are a virtual receptionist you can not know every caller by name, but by using the names of the circles will make you seem like old friends!
6. Know when to say “can” against “can make.” ” “usually means the ability of the” may “is often used when asking politely to collect information (” Let me your phone number? “). the use of” may “correct you sound more polished and professional!
7. Check with your caller. If you always have to put the caller on hold, make sure they know that you have not forgotten about them! A simple, “It will just be a moment, Mary,” will make the recipient feel taken care of while you try another line or get an answer to her question.
8. Say the magic words. You mother was not wrong when she said “please” and “thank you” can get you far; slip one in at every opportunity and your guest will be sure to appreciate your courtesy!
9. Focus on the positive. Say “no ” is not fun, but offering to help is always a good call. Follow every negative with an offer assistance: “Jim prefers to give out his cell phone number myself, but I would be happy to try his line for you and see if he is available.”
10. End calls gracefully. Sign off with a friendly statement like, “It was wonderful to chat with you!” And if you are a receptionist transferring a call, you do not have to talk long to sign off in style “!. Have a lovely day, Sharon I connect you to the line of Jonathan now”
These ten phone answering tricks up your sleeve, you’ll be sure to sound like a pro. You’ll be making great first impressions and set a good example for your business in no time flat!